Saturday, January 18, 2014

Positive Thoughts

I mentioned in an earlier post how I had just finished school and now have my AS in Health Information Technology.  August of 2010 I got my Certificate in Healthcare Coding also and that is ultimately what I want to end up doing.  Well, a month or so before I graduated I had applied for a few jobs here and there but I never heard anything so I was beginning to wonder if I'd get hired anywhere without taking the RHIT certification exam first.  (I can only take it in April or October and I'm deathly afraid of it.)  About 3 weeks ago I got a call to come to an interview for a Medicare billing job I had applied for before Thanksgiving.  I wasn't really interested in billing, mainly because I've been wanting to code since I started school what seems like forever ago, but I went anyway.  I figured I would give it a chance and I could always use the interview experience because I've been at the job I am doing for over 7 years now.  I was okay with the facility, kind of excited because they have a gym, and loved the benefits, but I still wasn't sure what I'd do if they'd call because it's billing.  Didn't matter anyway because I still haven't heard from them about it. 

The same time I applied for that job, I had applied for another on a whim even though it said CPC and 2 years coding experience was necessary.  I've been a purchasing agent for years so I obviously don't have the experience or the CPC.  This is the job description.....
 
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
  • Knowledgeable in medical insurance billing regulations
  • Knowledge of medical terminology and anatomy is required
  • Review physician documentation to ensure compliance with third party and regulatory guidelines
  • Performs initial charge review to determine appropriate CPT and ICD-9 codes
  • Excellent organization and time management skills along with excellent oral and written communication skills
  • Strong team player
  • Must enjoy participating in company-wide Wii bowling tournaments and having fun at work!
  • Proficient in Windows based applications, and MS Office software products
  • Ability to learn quickly, build and maintain long term relationships and work with minimal supervision
  • Strong written and verbal communication skills; strong analytical, organizational and time management skills required
  • Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office XP products (Word, Excel, Access)
  • Work in a professional manner with an exceptional customer service skills
 Who doesn't want to play Wii at work?  So, like I said, I took the chance on it and got a call Tuesday wondering if I could come in on Friday for an interview.  Exciting!  Yesterday I had that interview and it wasn't like any other I've had before.  I was one on one with the HR lady and then again with the Coding Manager.  I'm used to 3-5 people being in the room making me nervous.  I was totally comfortable here though.  Eric had sent me a text before I went in and said, "Just be yourself" so that's what I did.  No bs'ing, totally honest and it went sooooooo great.  Well, I think it did anyway.  I decided to treat myself with a coffee, yes I counted it, and before I even got to Starbucks I had an email from the Coding Manager asking me to come back up to meet her team and make sure I'm still interested and while I was in the drive thru I got one from the HR lady on all of their benefits.  (We had gone over some but I mentioned wanting to know everything they offer.)  Holy catfish! 

Last night I didn't get any sleep because I was weighing pros and cons in my head over and over.  I haven't even been offered the job and I'm already losing sleep over it.  I've never done this before!  Right now I work at the same business as Eric.  We work different hours and in different buildings but we are able to take all of our breaks and lunch together.  In all honesty, when I do get a different job, I will miss that the most.  Especially considering he starts fire school 2 nights a week next week and also works a part time job once a week and every other weekend.  Seeing him the little amount I do at night, I love seeing him during the day.  I also love the flexibility I have with my kids' activities and working around school and what not.  Not to mention it's only 12 miles from home.  That can seem like 100 miles when the weather is bad but it's normally not a big deal.  This job is about 40 miles.  I do like most of the people I work with but I knew when I started school that I didn't want to stay there forever. 

Anyway, long story not so short, I need positive thoughts that this all works out.  Maybe I haven't heard back from the first interview because someone knew this one was coming.  Let the money match the wonderful benefits and make it worth the longer drive and the major change in life.  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I've got my fingers crossed for you! But I am sure you will make the right choice for you and the family when the opportunity presents itself.

    ReplyDelete